[lit-ideas] Re: the values Americans live by?

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 23:00:32 EDT

In a message dated 5/6/2005 11:47:04 AM Central Daylight Time,
andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
And the  "Many also own a personal computer." was obviously appended.
In Palo Alto,  the average home has five computers.

HI,
Well, but Palo Alto has not heard of the digital divide, then.

It DOES exist.  Only, not really, as our government also claims that
everyone is literate (both in terms of knowing how to read, to calculate
numbers
[without one of those calculators] and knows how to navigate the world wide
web--not even looking at the numbers who look at a mouse and walk  away.

We have one of our library branches in the heart of this digital  divide.  It
is the only place in that area which provides any sort of  public access to
computers.   (that area is a part of KCMO--and this  part of KCMO is ignored as
it is not part of the KCMO school district--it has  one of its own. But, the
city which has gotten money to put computers in various  community centers has
not done so in that area's one--though the branch manager  and I recently met
the director of it and we are going to see what we can do--)

The statistics in that area's school district are extremely alarming if you
care at all about getting people to read/write/use a computer.  (must less
the Internet)   None of our other branches have the same problem (all  branches
are in the suburban area surrounding KC)  A person is allowed  what? 15
minutes on a computer--and that is not always enough time to do what  needs to
be
done.  So there have been fistfights when people won't get off  fast
enough...and there are constantly not just busy computers, but lines  waiting.
These are
people who actually know HOW to use the computer and  have no access.  If
they are lucky, they have a  phone (many do not)  but the cost even of dial-up
is
not something they can do (hey--food?  What  about the what? 60,000 kids who
go to bed hungry every night?  Think their  parents are playing on the
computer while their kids are hungry?)

When I was in a conference in Toronto last November I had this same
conversation with people from Washington State, some place in California, some
place
in Canada, etc etc.  Then the next day I went to a session dealing  with
lifelong learning classes focusing on the digital divide.  NONE of the  people
who
were adament about how they were no longer going to provide classes  on using
the internet or computer software programs were at that program.   Yet, one of
the people leading it was from Washington State and was talking  about the
digital divide there.  Another was from Vancouver.  I came  home and logged on
to a zillion messages from the two digital divide listservs  that I am on...

Sure, you may not know anyone who does not know how to use a computer or
email or the world wide web.  One of the woman I am on a board with has no
idea
how to attach something to her email.  She's a nurse.   She  has a brain and
ought to be able to figure this out...so, imagine if you were  one of the
people who cannot read directions even if they were to be able  to afford a
computer.   (who don't exist and that is why 70% of  funding for literacy
programs is
being cut...)

The funding and consideration from our administration towards eliminating
the digital divide--well, it does not exist.  In fact, the commitment to
making
sure we don't even fall further behind is simply not there.  The US  has now
dropped to what? 13th?  (or maybe it is lower?) in terms of numbers  of
households who have even basic broadband service within the 'first world'
nation-state listing.   If you look at how most countries provide even  better
broadband than what the US generally provides, it is pretty scary in  terms of
realizing how much of a digital divide there will soon be even between  the US
and
other nations.

Cell phone use?  The US lags there, too.

Wishing we ALL had five computers and knew how to use them,
Marlena