[lit-ideas] Re: the bombing blues

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 08:56:44 -0400

> [Original Message]
> From: Teemu Pyyluoma <teme17@xxxxxxxxx>
> To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: 7/8/2005 4:55:49 AM
> Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: the bombing blues
>
> Hope the UK members are fine.

My condolences as well.  Just two comments.  One is that I don't know that
this is necessarily about poor vs. rich.  There is, for example, a lot of
terrorism-mediated strife within India as well as between India and
Pakistan.  Needless to say these are areas of relative wealth parity.  An
estimated one-third of India's districts are involved in some sort of
terrorism or insurgency.  Regarding England's handling it well, that is to
be expected from experience.  Even here in the U.S. a future attack will
not have the shock value 9/11 had.  My personal opinion is that the e-mail
sent by Richard Koenigsberg is closer to the mark as to causes.  I haven't
read the actual paper yet, but I agree that there is something far more
illusive than money involved in explaining terrorism.  If nothing else,
rich attacks poor as well, case in point the U.S. attacking Iraq on trumped
up charges.  Speaking of Iraq, I read that there is a free flow of young
Iraqi-based militants between Iraq and the U.K.  According to Lou Dobbs'
(CNN) Broken Borders, 1% of illegals coming into the U.S. through Mexico
are estimated to be terrorists.   I couldn't find an actual quote of him
saying that on television.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/03/31/border.agents/index.html

I'm curious as to how this is being received in Marlena's neck of the
woods.  Do people in the red states still believe the war is "over there"?

Andy Amago