[lit-ideas] Re: terror & elections correction

  • From: JulieReneB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 00:36:37 EDT

I hate it when I hit "send" prematurely.

There's clearly a great deal about Finland that I don't begin to
understand...

_http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=573&e=9&u=/nm/odd_finland_int
ernet_dc_
(http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=573&e=9&u=/nm/odd_finland_internet_dc)

========Original Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: terror & elections
 Date: 8/3/2004 2:32:52 AM Central Daylight Time  From: _teme17@xxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:teme17@xxxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
--- Andreas Ramos <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

> Torgeir asks...
>
> > > If Bush wins, it  will be a huge victory for al
> Qaeda. They will be
> > >  dancing on the roof of their caves.
> >
> > c'mon andreas,  "the roof of their CAVES"!? dancing
> on the ceiling,
> >  perhaps?
>
> Don't they show Yogi Bear cartoons in Finland?

Seldom. Don't know about Norway where Torgeir lives.

> Is  Finland unamerican?

One has to wonder. On the one hand, op-eds  decrying
our reflexsive anti-American character are a weekly
occurance. On  the other, about 90% percent of
population speaks decent English, thousands  of kids go
to US as exchange students, Donald Duck comic weekly
has a  circulation of 300,000, which as a percentage of
population (5 mil) in  considerably more than any print
publication in USA, about 30% of TV programs  are
American, etc. and generally speaking the whole
country is considered  overly anglophone by our fellow
(Central) Europeans. This leads to two  possible
conclusions, either Finns are anti-American because
and not  despite of being relatively familar with USA,
or that anti-American has  become a convenient slur to
throw at political opponents. I'll opt for  latter,
which btw is just like in  'States.

Cheers,
Teemu
Helsinki, Finland

Do you  Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail - 50x more storage than other  providers!
http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail