[lit-ideas] Re: stupid stupid stupid news

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2006 14:02:37 -0500

At 01:38 PM 3/4/2006, you wrote:

Let me ask you a question Andy, do you stick you nose into groups of people who are playfully ribbing each other? Do you lecture them about being 'mean'?

Frankly, Paul, you could have made your point more effectively without calling Irene a "dickhead," and she would have heard you more clearly. My blood pressure went up when I saw your string of obscenities.

I didn't call her a 'dickhead' in my FIRST email. I called her clueless, which she proved she was in 3 or 4 more emails. SHE is the one who elevated it by calling my statement "a crock of shit". Lambaste HER for upping the obscenity ante in the beginning.

If Irene didn't understand how close Erin and Mike are to each other, she's not the only one. I didn't either.

Well, like I said, you haven't read everything then.

Erin has fooled a lot of us into thinking she was older than she is.

That's your fault not hers. She never represented herself as anything than a university student. She consistently whinges (I mean that in a good way, I know her too) about whichever assignment she is doing, talking about her late nights as a young person and has repeatedly posted links to pictures of her escapades multiple times. You guys weren't paying attention... not her fault.

(She's only a girl still in college, not even a graduate student going for her Ph.D. as many thought she was. She's interacting with 40 - 70 year-olds as if she were our equals intellectually and experientially.)

That's just a silly sentence. Did you think before you wrote it? Are you saying what you mean? Do you think that a 22 year old "girl" can't interact with 40-70 year olds? Is that what you are saying? Are you a misogynist? Are you casting aspersions on Mike for being a sixty-something who deigns to interact with a stupid young girl? What exactly ARE you saying?

But reading her "Good riddance" speech to Irene, I realized she's younger than she seems -- acting like she's important and Irene isn't, as if she's part of the in-group and Irene isn't.

I don't know how you could POSSIBLY infer that. Again, look at how ridiculous Irene's persistent accusation was -- even after she learned of Erin and Mike's relationship she STILL deemed Erin's remarks inappropriate. Even after MIke (more diplomatically than I for sure) responded to it, she CONTINUED to be willingly clueless just to forward her own dumb agenda.

This is junior high school behavior, not even college student behavior.

If she was doing what you accuse her of, I would agree, but she wasn't.

The disrespectful way you two have spoken to Irene isn't warranted, even if she isn't as perceptive as you thought she should be.

Or even 1% as perceptive as she thinks she. What was that word she used... insightful? To quote David Ritchie "Now, that's Funny!"

I thought the rules on this listserv were no ad hominem attacks.

Ad hominem? Irene is the person who attacked Erin's post. The only thing "wrong" about Erin's post to Mike was that she spelled "congrats" "contrats". Irene escalated the event by insinuating her psychobabble on Erin and upping the ante by noting "so sad" contemptuously at the end of the post.

Stick to the issues, would you please? Let's pass on the character assassination.

She's doing a great job of character suicide. I need not help

I'm kinda surprised Andreas hasn't intervened here.

Andreas is sitting in his garden drinking spritzers.

I'm sure Irene will demythologize THAT last sentence and tell me that I'm insulting Andreas.