[lit-ideas] Re: sharing my brother's misery

  • From: Erin Holder <erin.holder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 16:07:56 -0400

>>>It is relatively rare for graduate students to
> teach at a higher level than Year 1, although some who have hung around
> without completing their dissertations do.

Actually, no 1st year courses at Toronto (in the Philosophy department, at any
rate) are taught by graduate students.  They mainly teach the 2nd year classes,
and the upper level 3rd year classes.  In the 2nd year classes, because of the
class size, they will also have other graduate students as teaching assistants.
I've not taken a 3rd year class taught by a graduate student, so I don't know
what happens there.  I'm assuming they have TA's as well, though class size is
significantly smaller.  In the German department, however, graduate students
teach every level of language class.  As long as you speak German, they don't
care.  So I wouldn't say that's rare.

Erin

Quoting John Lye <jlye@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> In Canadian universities only a very few professors would not teach
> undergraduate courses.  It is relatively rare for graduate students to
> teach at a higher level than Year 1, although some who have hung around
> without completing their dissertations do.
>
> What is interesting about the ungrammatical sentence, by the way, is that
> it makes entirely good sense, despite its breaking the rules; drop the "but
>
> then also" and there you have it.  After 38 years of university teaching I
> get a little tired of people whining and/or being scandalized about
> students' bad grammar.  It's not the end of the world, it is no reflection
> on the student's character, and it is likely fixable.
>
> Regards -- just popping in for a moment, don't mind me --
>

> Professor John Lye
> Chair, Department of English Language and Literature
> Chair of Senate
> Brock University    St. Catharines, ON
> Home page www.brocku.ca/english/jlye
> Email  jlye@xxxxxxxxx
>
> "We're chained to the world/ And we all gotta pull."
>                                                -- Tom Waits

Erin