[lit-ideas] Re: serious question

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 09:16:15 -0400

There was an article which I can't remember where I saw it, about this.  The
U.S. is sending in mentally damaged as well as physically damaged people for
multiple tours of duty because there's such a shortage of military recruits.
It's a major problem in the military.  Where they used to spend something like
$3,000 to recruit one soldier, they're now spending something like $10,000 or
$12,000, and because they had to drop their standards so much, they need to
spend more time and effort educating and training these kids, which is, of
course, expensive.  Physical wounds, PTSD, it doesn't matter, they recycle them
over and over because they don't have anybody else.  We're spending $1.5
billion a *week* on this war.  Also, according to Tom Ricks, only one-third of
the military in Iraq is being in any way effective.  He suggests scrapping the
entire approach and tasking West Point and other military institutions with
coming up with solutions.  Also, the cry that this is a new war
  is completely false.  According to Ricks, Alexander the Great would instantly
have recognized what's going on.  It's just our military that doesn't get it.
They insist that digging deeper is the way out.