[lit-ideas] Re: race to the bottom

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 16:04:09 -0600

EY:
... I would vote (not included in the tally) to exterminate the Jovians. My reason is that, no matter how evil or self-destructive, earth culture is "ours," and taking it away would be the end of identity and choice.

Interesting. My guess is that that's how many of the Germans felt during the Nazi era. OK, yeah, it might be a heinous, destructive ideology, but it's "ours" by Gott mitt uns and I'll fight to the death for it.

Toynbee claims that all historical change comes at the death of a culture. Why do you think that port cities are always the most progressive and important and interesting? Because they have to deal with so many different cultures, of course. Culture schmulture, let's make a deal. A mixing of Jovian and Earth cultures might be just the thing to bring us home to Utopia -- but 18 of your buddies would kill them instead. My, my, they must all be Southerners. We tried that tactic, tried to kill all the outside agitators coming down here and stirring up our niggers, but it didn't work. Tell your buddies that. Sometimes cultures NEED to change. Cultures, my dear Eric, are as ephemeral as human lives. And currently there's something like 6 billion Earth cultures. So put that in your pipe and wear it.

Mike Geary
of Memphis culture
were we at all cultured

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Yost" <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>