[lit-ideas] Re: nameless celebrities?

  • From: Robert Paul <robert.paul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 15:11:24 -0800

In Hemingway's story 'The Cat in the Rain,' the central character (I'd
say) is called only 'The American wife,' and later, 'The American girl.'
The 'American husband,' as he is first referred to is later identified,
but simply as 'George.' He is the only named character. Besides The
American Wife, and George, there are the hotelkeeper and the maid.

My apologies if I am clogging people's inboxes but . . .après moi. . .

Robert Paul
Professor of Nameless Things
Mutton Collge