[lit-ideas] Re: media violence

  • From: John Wager <johnwager@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 11:05:57 -0500

Ursula Stange wrote:

>. . . . I suppose I'd like to say that all
>experiences should be there for the taking, but hardly any experiences
>should be foisted on people.   (The few people who learn to love
>Shakespeare when forcefed in high school are swamped everywhere by those
>who learn to hate him).  Eventually we're all adults and make these
>decisions for ourselves, taking into account our experience with our own
>squeamishness etc.

But we DO force people to learn to add and subtract, no matter HOW much
they hate it, because we think that having fellow citizens who can do
this is something that's good for ALL of us.  We REQUIRE students to
learn about the constitution and history because we need them to be able
to make intelligent political decisions.  The problem I have here is I
don't know where to put violence like this.  Is it something that we
should REQUIRE students to deal wtih because "real" violence is NOT
Hollywood violence?  Do we want students to be aware of the difference?
If so, can we require students to deal with it REGARDLESS of their
squeamishness?  What makes violence different than algebra?