[lit-ideas] Re: media violence

  • From: JulieReneB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 11:14:14 EDT

Yes, I'm behind on e-mail.  Chaotic doesn't begin to do justice to the last
couple weeks.  Re. the below, I'm as interested in the psychology of how the
viewing affects a person as I am the educational angle.  A couple days ago a
news item suggested that examination of Berg's body indicated that he was most
likely dead before the beheading and that the video was "staged".  A weird area
between fiction and reality.  Why or how does it make a difference in how a
visual event impacts us if we understand it to be fiction or reality?  If Berg
was indeed dead before the video, would we then with that knowledge view the
video differently?  Feel differently about it (as though, perhaps, it were a
"movie", like the Catch 22 beheading) as we watched it?  I am unsure of how
viewing, e.g.,  Ghost Ship vs. viewing that video of Berg would affect my
children;
the difference in how traumatic each would be for them, or in what manner
their psyche would be informed by each.  (An aside -- apparently *some* of the
pictures circulating re. prisoner abuse in Iraq are actually porn downloaded
from the net, videos or pictures in which some of the "players" were wearing
military garb.  The technology seems to be greying out significantly the line
between reality and fiction.)
<<Well, one question would be whether we want to "protect" minors from
exposure to disturbing material.  The culture seems to be moving towards
LESS protection.  The educational question here is, GIVEN this movement,
is it educationally sound to expose students to NON-Hollywood violence?
I would be willing to guess that in the average high school class of
seniors, 98% of the students have seen a "beheading" in a film
somewhere. Catch 22, years ago, had an airplane beheading. Braveheart
had several. The average slasher movie has severed heads by the dozens.
Night of the Living Dead back in the '60's  had a child eating an arm.
But it was understood that these were MOVIES, not REAL. >>

Julie Krueger