[lit-ideas] Re: [lit-ideas] Re: [lit-ideas] Re: [lit-ideas] Let's talk about beauty …

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 18:36:16 +0100

I'm also forgetting that I am now - as of early June - a proud
member
of the Royal Horticultural Socierty and as such can call them,
with my
plant questions.  Due to the current state of 'deregulation' of
the
telecommunications industry here in German it is at certain times
of
the day cheaper to call the UK and even North America than
someone here
in town.

Extraordinary.   Have you thought of using Skype? ('phone
deregulation here, I admit, has worked rather well; some
mobile phone deals end up not only free but minus cost,
and free broadband deals abound)

We also have three or four people a day trying to find our house
(even
when all is addressed correctly)
<<<<<<<<<<<

The Royal Mail is still very good at getting stuff to the right
place, but is otherwise going downhill and getting more
expensive (and charging more for a worse service).
 I doubt that deregulation/competition will
make things better, things will get worse, as they
have for you.   Meanwhile post offices are being
shut down and, presumably to help justify this, services
they used to offer (e.g. selling TV licenses) are being
taken away from them and given to private outlets....

Cardiff was nearly left without a single major real post office.

> Isn't increased competition wonderful?

the best (worst) increased competition scam here's Directory
Inquiries; it was enforced against the public's wishes.  We now
have a rather large number of competing services each of
which charges considerably more than the original BT
monopoly did.  Luckily bt has all the numbers online and
searches are free, I bet the government didn't know about that.

The employees will be forced to take pay
cuts or lose their jobs and be hired by these new 'more
efficient'
firms at a much lower rate of pay, job security, etc., etc.
Isn't
capitalism grand?

typical; I wonder whether that will happen in the postal service
here; people are fighting to keep post offices open

I didn't realise your pols were mad privatisers too

Judy