[lit-ideas] Re: [lit-ideas] Re: Le Pesanteur et la Grâce

  • From: JulieReneB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2004 15:47:30 EDT

<whining>  I want some afternoon wine on a verandah.  I'm  stuck in the
bowels of my youngest daughter's room trying to identify mounds of  objects she
squirrels away back there.  There's always a chance there's  something *alive*.

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Le Pesanteur et
la Grâce  Date: 8/7/2004 2:44:20 PM Central Daylight Time  From:
_Ursula@xxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ha!    This was the solution employed by  the minions of Emperor Qin (he
of the terracotta army) when he died suddenly  on one of his desparate
promenades around his empire.   His  administrators feared the people
would rip them in half if they no longer  feared the living emperor, so
they propped him up in his carriage and kept  promenading (hurriedly back
to the capital, don't you know).    When he began to smell, they placed a
cart full of fish in close proximity  (to blame the smell on).   Wasn't
entirely successful -- the  people found out -- drew and quartered the
prime minister when they got  their hands on him.   So much for fooling
the people...
Thanks  for reminding me.   Now, you'll excuse me if I take my afternoon
wine down to the front porch (or verandah in gearyspeak) where the air
is sweet and warm.
Ursula
wondering how long it takes for a wee dead  mouse to dessicate (and stop
smelling)