[lit-ideas] Re: lit-ideas Digest V6 #246

  • From: John Wager <jwager@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 23:33:33 -0600

dsavory@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

Whether or not any of the intelligentsia believes it, it is certainly a commonly-held notion that decisions may be made dispassionately. And with the afore-cited research we may now sally forth to engage those commoners and tell the burden of proof is upon them.

But if you are willing to give them the "burden of truth," aren't you conceding that YOU at least will look at their reasons in a somewhat dispassionate way?

On the other hand, if NOTHING they say would sway you from your passionately held decision to hold this belief, what purpose would any "proof" serve?

The only other alternative I can see is that somehow the "decision" to believe something (with or without evidence) is not "really" a decision. That just seems false to me, but then again, if beliefs ARE passionately held decisions, I WOULD say that, wouldn't I?, and nothing would dissuade me from such a "decision."

"Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by incompetence and ignorance." -------------------------------------------------
John Wager                      jwager@xxxxxxxxxx
                             River Grove IL, USA