[lit-ideas] Post-Menopausal Intergenerational Sex: Film Club Debate

  • From: jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2009 13:09:16 -0400

So I´ve been invited by this ladies´s film club to present a film of my choice. I selected (for viewing this Friday), Ladies in Lavender, with Maggie Smith and Judie Dench. Totally forgettable by Americans (it showed for two days in Nebraska) but beloved by West Country men (like our newly West Country man, S. Ward) and passionate Argentinesa like J. L. Speranza.

The film is about postmenopausal sex with a teen boy. The main character is Judi Dench. In the short story, by Locke, she is described as "a middle aged woman", that is, in her "early forties" (The story was published in 1916). The director, C. Dance, thought that casting Judi Dench, who´s hitting 82 this November, would be a boom, and a boon.

Maggie Smith plays her older sister. Unlike Maggie, Judy is a virgin, but she doesn´t know it. I mean, she never suffered anaything but menstruation, and this was during the Boer War.

The film starts alla Garcia Marquez. The "old girl", beachcombing, discovers a well-endowed corpse (well, he was alive after all) of a boy coming from nowhere (Russia). The short story was compiled in ¨Far Away Stories" by Locke.

She takes him to her cottage, and dresses him, and have spoken sex, then. Etc.

I will be focusing on the musical side to this, since the meetings of this film club concentrate on the music related to the film: anything fiddle related will do, if you have
a suggestion.

See you there!

J. L. Speranza
  The Swimming Pool Library