[lit-ideas] gigawatt Counter-chlvalrous Terrorist inflammatory Coma Painting handyman drainage

  • From: "Michael Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 21:02:39 -0500

Talk about your synchronicity.  Police.  I mean 'pulleeessse'.  Here is
David Ritchie suggesting that "gigawatt chivalrous inflammatory handyman
drainage" is a message about Bob "Pot O' Pink Poppies" Ross.  I'm sure he
was responding to my post.  And here I was puzzling over Henninge's and
Speranza's and phatic's findings and feeling so sad.

Now I don't want to influence JulieReneB's judgment, but I must say JL's
response, though learned indeed, is typical of schoolmen and marm's.  He
hopes that by determining the parts of speech of the words that he can
determine then the subject of the phrase and thereby the meaning therein.
With the insights provided by his Spanish google translator, Speranza
suggests that the subject is 'gigawatt', not 'drainage' as most English
speakers might assume.  I have no problem with this as long as one realizes
what nonsense it is.

Richard Henninge obviously believes that the subject is 'drainage'.  He says
it's all about "love-sick drip".  Not just any love-sick drip but mine own
mucoidal effluent occasioned by "a nurse's muscular manipulation of
inflammatory nodes".  Nice thought that.  But alas, like all German
Romantics, the man thinks too drearily realistic.

phatic, a hopeless revolutionary, sees nothing but Indonesian politics in
the phrase.  One would think that with Denmark, Norway's first cousin,
sending SUBMARINES to Iraq to help us liberate those ungrateful Iraqis even
if we have to kill every damn one of them to do it, one would think that
under those circumstances, phatic would be more hot to involve himself in
Danish politics than in Indonesian politics.  But you read it yourself, or
now you will, the words of phatic purporting to be the words of Megawati:
"'Gigawatt, [perform the] 'chivalrous, inflammatory handyman drainage' [now,
please]'"   Excuse me, but I think not.

David Richie, is, I think, more on the right track.  The phrase is about Bob
Ross's paintings.  Now _there_ was a handyman's drainage if ever there was
one -- and in gigawatts.  The phrase is also not about Bob Ross.  The phrase
is about Sir Gawain, surely, and not, just as surely.   The phrase is about
not making sense.  Which makes sense, doesn't it,  sometimes, I mean.  Is
'drainage' the effluent or is it the piping?  Or both.  Is the pipe melting,
perhaps, explaining the 'inflammatory" nature of things?  Piping is always
the work of some handyman, we know that.  Chaucer calls Nicholas "hende" in
The Miller's Tale.  I remember or made up a reading of "hende" as handy and
handy being a play on handsome and skillful, by which looks and skills
Nicholas handily caught Alisoun by her queinte.  That too accounts for your
inflammatory gigawatts.  It's all a trope for pure sex, my friends.  And
not, of course.

I hope JulieReneB has the courage of Juror #4 and will not be swayed by my
deeper insights, for unlike Scalia, I do have some integrity and have
recused, or is it excused in this case, myself from the competition.

Mike Geary
Memphis, TN
"Remember, if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find
you handy."
        --Red and Green Show