[lit-ideas] Re: curiosity

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 18:49:02 -0400

I think I'm probably the opposite of a teetotaler -- especially since, other than a 4 month period when I was trying to 'impress a chick', I NEVER drink Tea -- and I drink beer pretty much every day, but hardly ever before 7 o'clock on a week night, usually about 2 or 3 on the weekend -- that work thing gets in the way during the week. I stay up til 1 or 2 pretty much every night and get up at between 6 and 8 depending on how ambitious I'm feeling. "Hangovers" per se aren't a problem and I hardly ever get stinking drunk -- I think maybe once in the last 6 months have I been drunk. I'm what Irene would probably call a 'functional alcoholic' -- she's always casting aspersions -- but if necessary, let's say I'm going on a trip or I have a business meeting early the next morning, I simply don't drink the night before. Sometimes, I go weeks without having anything to drink. It all depends on how busy I am. Like Eric, if I need energy the next day, I have to take it easy, but like Mike, if I need energy "now", I drink more. I do the same with smoking. Go days and days without thinking about it, then I'll go out to a party and polish off a whole pack with friends. All things in moderation. All things in toleration. Why should we abstain from anything really. I'll try anything twice. For things that are not acutely dangerous, I simply don't understand the harm in indulging in them occasionally. My father has never had a drop in his life. Like Lawrence, he doesn't like the idea of not being in control of his faculties. I like the vacation. It's too damn much responsibility to be responsible.

certainly NOT a teetotaler,

paul

p.s. for those of you who actually read any of my book reviews, don't worry, I haven't stopped reading, I've just been really busy. My next one should be in the mail in the next few days. I'm simply not as prolific as a Ritchie or Geary -- bless their hearts.

[insert pithy quote here]
Paul Stone
pas@xxxxxxxx
Leamington, ON. Canada