[lit-ideas] computer problems

  • From: "Michael Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "LIT-IDEAS" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 18:43:47 -0500

Any computer geniuses out there? I've suddenly lost all contact with my Start Menu and all icons on the Desktop. The only programs I can access are Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, and MSN Messenger. I can only access them through the Task Manager program by hitting the Ctrl +Alt + Delete keys. But Task Manager won't allow me to open any other programs or copy them or print them, nothing, de rien, nada, zilch, zero. But don't worry, I regularly back up my files -- yeah, weep, weep, weep.

Yesterday I downloaded a Java compiler from Sun Systems. It was last night before I realized I couldn't access the Start Menu. I doubt the download corrupted my files, but I suppose that's possible. It might be a virus -- in which case you might all have it now -- but at least you'll be able to curse me, it doesn't seem to affect Internet shit -- so that it can be spread?? -- very clever. I use XP Professional. I tried to reinstall it, but the computer doesn't seem to know there's a CD player connected to it. Any suggestions?

Mike Geary
Computer Moron of Memphis