[lit-ideas] Re: bonnyclabber

  • From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 22:33:36 +0900

I've never seen

On 10/29/06, JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx <JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Example sentence:
When Grandma was a little girl, one of her jobs was to feed the bonnyclabber
to the chickens.

I've never seen clabber (never heard it called "bonny clabber") on sale, but I do retain dim memories of having drunk or eaten some at my Scotch-Irish grandparents' place in Savannah, Georgia, circa 1950 or so. The one thought that crosses my mind is that it may have been more common back in the days when milk was delivered unhomogenized in class bottles and refrigeration still a dicey proposition. For people who had lived through the Great Depression throwing away milk just because it happened to have soured wouldn't have seemed right, especially when you could always make sourmilk biscuits, shrimp gravy or clabber this or that instead.

Cheers,

John

--
John McCreery