[lit-ideas] Re: ading

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 20:33:27 -0700

I'm reading an excerpt from, Paul Kane's nineteenth century, "Wanderings of
an Artist Among the Indians of North America from Canada to Vancouver's
Island and Oregon Through the Hudson's Bay Company's Territory and Back
Again."  I've decided it's good enough to order in a reprinted, Dover
edition.

On a quiet night, perhaps you'll enjoy this vision of a piper in full
regalia performing on October 9, 1846 in the middle of nowhere..."the
natives who supposed him to be a relation of the Great Spirit, having, of
course, never beheld so extraordinary a looking man, or such a musical
instrument, which astonished them as much as the sound produced.  One of the
Indians asked him to intercede with the Great Spirit for him; but Frazer
remarked how limited his influence was in that quarter."

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon