[lit-ideas] Your Favorite Misnomer

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 11:57:51 EDT

Eric Yost writes (in "Hylomorphism -- a dogma?"):
"Form"  is certainly subject to ambiguous analysis. Bartok's Piano Sonata is
called a sonata, even though it doesn't really follow sonata  form.

-----

A typical case of a misnomer.

Incidentally, Geary was wondering the other day whether there is a  _concept_
for every _word_ and vice versa, and I was reading in A Book of  Quotations
that Science is, for some, the art of using the _right_ names (to  name the
things).

But if one thinks about the number (the great number) of _misnomers_ around
us, one wonders...

My favourite misnomer of late:

From

Stephen Barry, "Royal Secrets: The View from Downstairs" (New York: Villard
Books). He recalls his stay at Buckingham Palace:

     "We used to sit in the billiards room (which
     isn't a billiards room at all, but just a  place
     used for meetings) and say our pieces."
          (p. 28)

A logician (cf. R. Paul) would consider this a sort of Kripkean identity
fallacy:

    The billiards room ~ = a billiards room

   ("The billiards room isn't a billiards room").

One may say that _etymologically_, it _was_ (One presumes the billiards  room
is called "the billiards room" because the royals (or the Earl of
Buckingham) did use to play billiards in that room...

A second favourite of mine is the Isle of Thanet in Kent, which is _not_ an
Isle. (cf. Barataria).

Cheers,

JL