[lit-ideas] Re: YOU'RE MORE WRONG THAN I AM. NO, YOU ARE. NO YOU ARE. NO YOU ARE. NO, YOU ARE. NO YOU ARE. NO YOU ARE. NO, YOU ARE. NO YOU ARE. NO YOU ARE. NO, YOU ARE. NO YOU ARE.

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 22:52:00 -0400

"Anyway, give it a break, guys.  We're all as stupid as Andy accuses us of
being, but oh so much more fun than she has ever imagined."

Okay, I'll bite.  I don't think people are necessarily stupid.  I think they're
emotional.  When the emotions take over, thinking goes out the window.
Unfortunately, emotions always take over; emotions rule.  Thinking is something
that's done in the intervals between emotional episodes, whether the emotions
are expressed directly or indirectly (passive aggression, projection,
whatever).  (For those who think they express their emotions through poetry,
forget it.  Can't be done.)  Sooner rather than later the emotions begin to
bubble, very nearly always from childhood; the unfocused emotions latch onto
something in the present, and bingo, conflict.  Joseph said writers are above
this.  Writers are absolutely not above this.  Across the board, regardless of
religion, language, occupation, sex, sexual orientation, nationality, economic
status, nearly everybody is controlled by the crocodile brain and/or the inner
child.  Something can be done about it, which is the emotions hav
 e to be dealt with directly.  Unfortunately, emotions are virtually never
dealt with directly, instead they're always dumped on somebody.  Once the
emotional episode passes, it's business as usual for a while until it builds up
again.  That's why words like "clash of civilizations" are so dangerous.   In
addition to being meaningless (like Simon mentioned, are we going to send in
the troops to wipe out Catholicism?), they're just a way to take the fear and
rage that we carry inside and externalize it onto something.  There might be
something to it if war was rare, but war is continual, so clearly it's just
another piece of fashionable externalization for universal internal crap.

And regarding terrorists Eric, do you ever wonder why, if terrorism were such a
problem, we're not doing something about it instead of ignoring it while
simultaneously making it worse?  Why did NYC's terror funding get cut?  Why do
people walk in and out of the country at will by the millions while authorities
check for nail clippers on airplanes?  Obviously those who should be worried
about it are not worried.  I guess it's up to us to do their worrying for them?
 How else do you explain it?