[lit-ideas] Re: Words.2

  • From: Robert Paul <robert.paul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 20:56:15 -0800

Stan Spiegel wrote:

Isn't (aren't) two words joined, after all, one word? (For example thirty-first.)

I absolutely hate it when people raise questions about what is a word, really. 'The word "smoke" is both a noun and a verb.' (measure/measure, etc.) This is somewhat, but not exactly, like the commonsense view that the name 'John' is the same name, whether 'Smith' or 'Brown' is appended to it. 'John' can have multiple denotations but only one sense (if proper names have senses).

In 'thirty-first' we have two words joined to make a third, with a new meaning, an ordinal derived from a count word and an ordinal. But still, it is a new word which isn't synonymous with either of the hyphen-separated words. So, Stan wins (and Steve wins). Maybe.

Robert Paul