[lit-ideas] Re: Wodehouse

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 15:14:55 -0700

On Jun 25, 2006, at 12:32 AM, Carol Kirschenbaum wrote:

*Was the Mufti the only person who supported Hitler at
the time ? Ezra Pound did, too. What could this tell
us about the American writers ?

ck: An aside, of course. I'm remembering my father. He had loved PG
Wodehouse, and then he learned about the author's politics, by accident.
That was it--no more Wodehouse for him. He couldn't read PG with good humor
anymore. Ruined. I feel somewhat that way towards quite a number of
anti-Semitic American authors, Pound among them.

We've had several go-rounds on this list about P.G. Wodehouse's time in Germany. Last year I read the two most recent biographies. I'm convinced, having finally read the text of what was broadcast, that Wodehouse's crime was having no sense of politics at all. He agreed to broadcast, thinking that people would listen to his account of prison life. He'd had a fairly harrowing time. The only thing that British people registered--since they didn't hear the broadcast-- was the fact that P.G.W. had recorded a talk in Berlin and got out of jail as a result.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon