[lit-ideas] Wittgenstein's Moses

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 17:59:36 -0400 (EDT)

Apparently, while Witters KNEW how names worked, he never said it, but at
most _showed_ it. This, according to D. McEvoy, was a necessity -- given
that,  even if Witters had TRIED to say what naming amounts to,
philosophically, he  would not have succeeded.

We are choosing 'naming' and 'names' as an example given, perhaps, by
Witters, of language's inability to say its sense rather than show it (loosely
put).

In a message dated 5/12/2014 10:17:32 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
palmaadriano@xxxxxxxxx writes:
"there remains two or three options (btw, none  has anything to do with
definitions by ostension as some brains finer than mine  insist, nobody knows
why): 1. tag; 2. predicates, however complicated the  predication trusn out t
be; 3. some semi-indexical view. 1 is held by the santa  barbarians around
N. Salmon; 2. is held, most recently by Delia Fara Graff; 3.  is held among
others by the Italian philosopher F. Orilia as well as by the  Spanish
philosopher G. Carpintero. Alas I have no idea of what Grice said on the
matter
since I met only once and we spoke about something completely  different."

Well, one claim missing in Witters's commentary on Moses  (below) seems to
be

Moses was called "Moses".

which seems to have  puzzled Kripke.

"Actually sentences like 'Socrates is called "Socrates"'  [and mutatis
mutandis, 'Moses is called "Moses"] are very interesting and one  can spend,
strange as it may seem, hours talking about their analysis. I  actually did,
once, do that. I won't do that, however, on this occasion. (See  how high the
seas of language can rise. And at the lowest points  too.)"

(The second) Witters would possibly argue that

Moses was  called "Moses".

serves no communicative function, and is thus part of no  language game or
form of life. The first Witters would possibly take is as a  tautology --
and analytic a priori (a vacuity, for short).

The fact that  the chosen name can be a 'vacuous' one (as in Grice's
"Pegasus does not exist"  -- see his "Vacuous Names") seems to be irrelevant at
this  point.

Cheers,

Speranza

---
In Section 79 of  Philosophical Investigations, Wittgenstein writes:

"If one says

i.  Moses did  not exist.

this may MEAN various things."

"It may  mean:

ii.  The Israelites did not have a single leader when they  withdrew  from
Egypt——or:

iii. The Israelite's leader was NOT  called  Moses——-or:

iv. There cannot have been anyone who  accomplished all that  the Bible
relates of Moses——or:

v. etc.  etc.

"We may say,  following Russell: the NAME "Moses" can be  defined by means
of
various  descriptions."

"For example,  as

vi. "Moses" names the man who led  the Israelites through  the  wilderness.

vii. "Moses" names the man  who lived at that  time and place and was then
called 'Moses'.

viii.  "Moses" names  the man who as a child was taken out of the Nile by
Pharaoh's   daughter.

and so on.

"And according as we assume one definition  or  another the proposition, our
original utterance

i. Moses did  not  exist.

acquires a different SENSE, and so does every other  proposition  about
Moses."

"And if we are told, in  general

ib. "N did not  exist"

we do ask: "What do you mean?  Do you want to say . . . . . . or .  . . . .
.
etc.?"

"When I  make a statement about Moses,— am I  always ready to substitute
some
one  of these descriptions for  "Moses"?"

"I shall perhaps say as  follows."

"By "Moses" I  understand the man who did what the Bible  relates of Moses,
or at any rate a  good deal of it."

"But how  much?"

"Have I decided how much must be  proved false for me to give  up my
proposition as false?"

"Has the NAME  "Moses" got a fixed  and unequivocal use for me in all
possible  cases?

"Is it not the  case that I have, so to speak, a whole series of  props
inreadiness, and am  ready to lean on one if another should be taken  from
under me and  vice  versa?"