[lit-ideas] Re: Will Britain accept Sharia Law?

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2011 20:22:37 -0700

Veronica wrote

    I can't imagine a Catholic, Protestant or Jewish clergy person
    officiating at a marriage without a state license.  It's required.

David Ritchie wrote

    Perhaps in your state.  Not so, California:

http://www.cdph.ca.gov/certlic/birthdeathmar/Pages/FAQforMarriageLicenseCeremonyInfo.aspx

I went to that very site and found

'Do I have to review the marriage license prior to solemnizing the marriage?

'Yes. The marriage license must be reviewed by the marriage officiant prior to solemnizing the marriage. Any person who solemnizes a marriage without first reviewing the license is guilty of a misdemeanor (Penal Code, Section 360).'

I'm sure the statute of limitations has run out.

Robert Paul