[lit-ideas] Re: When do we know enough?

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 14:46:24 -0500

>> it is knowledge) of that first [engine] is not the
>> same knowledge as the knowledge of the fiftieth
>> [engine].

Donal: Hardly. For even o[i]f the knowledge is not "the same" that does not mean it is
as "knowledgeable" in both cases.

I'm glad Donal is getting into this. Maybe he can straighten out my thinking and writing and help me understand why I am so uneasy about John's comparison of understanding the subway to Turner understanding his painting. Okay, my first argument about synthetic-versus-analytical is just plain wrong. But, let me take Donal's last point:

>> For even if the knowledge is not "the same" that does not mean it is
as "knowledgeable" in both cases.

Here I can pinpoint what bugs me. After five years of studying the subway, I will probably know more about the subway than in year one.

However, after five years, an artist will not necessarily be more knowledgeable about his painting--only different. If artistic knowledge were always cumulative, then we would pay no attention to Picasso's blue period paintings but only his later-style paintings. These later paintings would be where the artistic knowledge was. We would consider Rachmaninoff's Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini to be totally superior to his Symphony no. 1--which it isn't.

Artists mature, yes, but that isn't always the same as gaining more artistic knowledge. Sometimes it means a cooling down of vision, or getting trapped in their own style. Whereas someone studying the subway can reasonably expect to know more over time.