[lit-ideas] Re: When do we know enough?

  • From: John McCreery <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 14:08:53 +0900

On 12/15/05, Robert Paul <robert.paul@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Interesting. Do you remember any names? Sorry to have managed to imply
> that you were as ancient as I am. You did have a course from Black,
> though, right?

It's peculiar, but the only name I remember is Harold Walsh, who was
definitely not a positivist. I took Aristotle from him and looked in
on his course on Existentialism, famous for his opening riff—sitting
on the auditorium stage and smoking a cigarette in absolute silence
for thiry minutes or so, after which he announced that, "You don't
know much about existentialism. I don't know much about
existentialism. Nobody knows much about existentialism. This is a
course in 20th century European philosophy."

John Mc