[lit-ideas] Welsh "Glas" (Was: The Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 14:34:11 EDT

Krueger asks John McCreery

> John -- if you didn't have a word for "red" would you still see the  colour
> of an apple, a tomato, blood?  Or, because you didn't have  the word for it,
> would your brain simply stop processing  data?

This reminds me of Welsh 'glas'

           ENGLISH                                   WELSH

                blue                         -------------------------------

---------------------------------------------            glas

               green                       --------------------------------

We may assume that an English-speaker and a Welsh-speaker perceive _the  same
*thing*, a bluish-greenish sea (like the Atlantic off the coast of
Gibraltar).

"Glas", the Welsh-speaker says.

This translates as _either_ 'blue' or 'green', or 'blueish green', or
'greenish blue'. The next step would ask (but I won't since I avoid homunculi)
whether in the *mental representation* of the Welsh speaker there is a separate

_predicate_ for 'glas'. Why, the Welsh speaker may ask the same thing about the
 English speaker.

So it's best to treat _thoughts_ whatever they are, as pretty
_inarticulated_. Indeed the idea of 'articulated thought' seems anti-Ockhamist.
 It's only
_sentences_ that are *articulated*, and they come in different shades,
lenghts, and lingos:

         'Glas'
         'That's blue'
         'No, that's green'
         'Greenish blue, I'd  say"
         'More like blueish green,  if you ask me"

Etc.

JL