[lit-ideas] Re: Weird Habits

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 11:27:04 -0800

on 11/25/04 8:42 AM, Erin Holder at erin.holder@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

  So if anyone feel like sending me flowers or chips (I love chips) or
> maybe a bottle of wine or two or three or four, feel free.

Coincidentally, I was just offered a chance to join a scheme to build a
vineyard in Antartica, one of two continents that are still virgin territory
as far as wine goes.  They intend to grow a German product, eiswein.  I'll
comp you a few bottles when the first harvest is pressed.

Meanwhile, let me recommend a wine that, as far as I know, is only available
in Canada--Drodsky Hof--a South African vineyard that Stephen and I called
Trotsky's Huff.  The wine isn't fabulous, but it's cheap and better than you
might expect, and there's fun in pronouncing the name in your best version
of Piet ("Some pipple call me a rrrracist, but oi bilive blicks should git a
fair crick of the whip") Botha, a name I associate with apartheid, or even
the Boer War, but which apparently now belongs to a rock star friend of
Billy Bob Thornton:

http://www.rhythmrecords.co.za/piet_botha.html

David Ritchie
fiddling while the turkey burns in