[lit-ideas] Weigh-in on parentheticals

  • From: "Julie Krueger" <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 02:55:50 -0600

Okay, all you die-hard comp types, you people who spell color colour, those
who split punctuation hairs for a living or to escape their living, most of
all, and still diagram sentences for fun, and those who are wordsmiths who
have successfully adapted to computer English usage:  I ask you collectively
because if nothing else at all, you spend more of your time reading,
writing, interpreting, and putting language under a microscope.

I realize that asterisks have become a somewhat standard way of emphasizing
a word in e-mail, because underlining and italicizing and boldfacing doesn't
*always* come across well across e-mail clients.

My husband interprets and uses parentheses to indicate emphasis.  I say that
parentheses have always indicated, and continue to indicate, subordinate
words or phrases.  That if, e.g., a newspaper editor has to make a column X
number of words and the article is too long by a few, the parenthetical
clauses will likely be the first to go.

Jim reads the phrase "Please (publicly) reconsider your comments"  as
"Please PUBLICLY reconsider your comments" whereas I read it as "Please
reconsider your comments (publicly, if you are so inclined, it might be
nice)".

Have parentheses morphed in the internet world into a mode of emphasis
rather than indication of a subordinate clause?

Unrelatedly, why do people insist on saying "pundiNt"?

--
Julie Krueger