[lit-ideas] Re: Web addiction and conscripts dropping out

  • From: Teemu Pyyluoma <teme17@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 09:17:34 -0700 (PDT)

--- Scribe1865@xxxxxxx wrote:

> ______
> Careful there, Teemu. After a few beers, with the
> Karelia Overture playing in
> the background, you guys might try to retake the
> part the Russians swiped.

Should we be in such a mood, we would propably en up
doing violence to Jäegermarch, another Sibelius
composition, which like Finlandia unfortunately has
lyrics attached to it. But while Finlandia raises
above patriotic fervor, Jäegermarch most certainly
does not. It's a highly disturbing piece of music in a
Leni Riesenthal kind of way, the lyrics in particular
basicly go to lengths about pleasures of dying and
slaughtering to unite Fenno-Ugric lands. History
provides added punch, it was composed at the eve civil
war where Finns about 5 seconds after getting
independence started slaughtering each other. On the
other hand, the march when performed by a good choir
is tremendeously powerful, moving and on the whole
makes you want to go out and kill somebody.

Forget about Marilyn Manson, it's Sibelius we ought to
worry about.

Cheers,
Teemu
Helsinki, Finland