[lit-ideas] Re: Wahhaj's vision

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 19:08:36 -0700 (PDT)

--- Phil Enns <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> "Can you see the vision, can you see young women
> walking down the street
> of Newark, New Jersey, with long flowing hijab and
> long dresses?"
>
> Eric Yost wrote:
>
> "Those aren't women, Wahhaj ... no, definitely not."
>
> to which, with knees a jerkin', Omar Kusturica
> replied:
>
> "Eric, whatever your positions(s) on the war, one
> thing is certain: you
> are a shovinistic asshole."
>

> The irony is delicious.  In my neighbourhood, the
> chauvinist would be
> the one who assumed that someone wearing a dress is
> a woman.

*I did misspell 'chauvinist' - that is, I spelled it
as I would in Serbian - but as to the meaning of the
term, I believe you are mistaken. Chauvinism is
defined as:

1. Militant devotion to and glorification of one's
country; fanatical patriotism.
2. Prejudiced belief in the superiority of one's own
gender, group, or kind...

Gender chauvinism is only one type of chauvinism.

And no, I wasn't really knee-jerking. Just because
there aren't any Muslim traditional women on this
list, it doesn't mean that no civility is due to them.

O.K.

http://mail.yahoo.com