[lit-ideas] Re: WSJ -- Ode to Oil -- thoughts?

  • From: "Simon Ward" <sedward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 11:18:00 -0000

Interesting that Eric should put all the emphasis on battlefield 'Evilness' rather than the White Knight protagonist. That various pieces on the battlefield should want to manipulate the environment for their own purposes is a given; that the White Knight should be apart from such activities is a naive conception.

My purpose in responding to Julie's question wasn't to cast doubt on Howard's notion that oil producing nations might or do seek to manipulate the US dependence on oil - they might and they do - but that in constructing his equation he forgot to mention that the US is often the worst culprit and will seek to re-shape the battlefield and dislodge the players for its own ends.

But for me, this isn't just about oil per se, but the concentration of energy-related assets into the hands of a relative few. In the US, those capital interest get ciphoned through the state, in other countries, those interests are the state. In practice there's not too much difference.

How about everybody with a pitched roof line up a series of wind turbines along their ridge. The electricity that's produced get's fed into a local community grid which will either be a positive or negative contributor to electricity on a wider scale. If it's a positive contributor, then electricity in the community is operationally free.

Cheers

Simon
Now to make leek and potato soup.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Yost" <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>