[lit-ideas] Re: Ving Rhames' Bullmastiffs

  • From: "Julie Krueger" <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2007 04:11:18 -0500

Okay, dog-lovers, help me out here.  I haven't run into the term "bull
mastiff" before.  I do know "English bulldog"  but that's kind of beside the
point.

A client of my husband's has a bevy of four dogs dwelling in her very small
somewhat run-down house in the country.  One is a very large French poodle.
The other two I can't recall the names of the breeds (someone fix that
grammar please -- it's 4 a.m. and I just can't).  The fourth is what she
calls an English Mastiff.  It is somewhere between a great dane and a
Shetland pony in size.  It is not fat, but extremely muscular.  Jim
estimates his weight at around 150 pounds.  While the client was out of town
Jim fed the dogs for her (along with her two horses).  I went with him on
one of his treks -- the four dogs rushed towards me in what Jim described as
friendly affection.  Considering that their heads came up to my waist, not
to mention the fact that each one of them weighed roughly half again what I
do, I wasn't so sure about the friendly aspect to being cornered (literally,
shoved with their powerful bodies into the corner of the room) by them,
tongues hanging out -- Jim says wanting to lick because they like you, while
to me it seemed that they were licking their chops.   In any event, I'm
wondering if a bull mastiff and an English mastiff are the same thing.  The
dogs DID act like oversized affectionate puppies, and I did manage to be in
the same room with them without screaming for help.  But it makes me wonder
about the differences in breed between here and the UK.   Of course all this
talk of bull mastiffs and bulldogs makes me wonder where pit bulls fit in
....  I guess I'll have to consult Wiki tomorrow (well, technically today)
on breeds of dogs....(How long before "Wiki" becomes a verb?  "I'll have to
Wiki that tomorrow....").

Julie Krueger
Curious about the canine world
(btw, Lawrence, where have all the Irish Setters gone??)