[lit-ideas] Urinometer (Was: Wrongly)

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 08:49:15 EDT

In a message dated 10/11/2004 9:21:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,
judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Yes. I  don't know whether there's a way of deciding -- or knowing --
when  "wrongly" should be used.

----

A couple of quotes from the OED, including the etymology. My favourite cite
is, I guess, the only one in the OED -- under 'wrongly' -- which actually
cross-referes to another entry ('urinometer') -- and which I looked up  too:

1858 THUDICHUM Urine 34

        Which, when  destined to be used for
        the  urine only, should be called
         urogravimeter, but has been wrongly
         styled urinometer.

Cheers,

JL

-----
wrongly, f. WRONG a. + -LY2.  Cf. ON. rangliga, Norw. ranglege; MSw.
vranglika, Da.  vrangelig.]

1303 R. BRUNNE Handl.  Synne 11069
ens God, he ys nat quyte at  <NOBR for hys owne profyte Holy cherche  wrongly
be yue To o men at wykkedly lyue.
1586  SIDNEY Arcadia  III. vii,
So wrongly-consorted a  power could not resist the ready minded force of
Amphialus.
1830  SIR T.  LAWRENCE in Williams Life & Corr. (1831) I.  131,
I began life wrongly,  I spent more money than I earned, and accumulated
debts.
1848  MRS.  GASKELL Mary Barton ix,
She..was so afraid of  speaking wrongly, that she was silent.
1904 Daily  Chron. 2 May 5/6 A wrongly-set switch.

1633 [? WARE]  Spenser's State Irel. Pref. ¶3b,
He deceased at  Westminster in the year 1599. (others have it wrongly 1598.)
1690  LOCKE Hum. Und.  II. xi. §13. 71
Mad Men,..having  joined together some Ideas very wrongly,..mistake them for
Truths.
1818  CRUISE Digest (ed. 2) III. 414
The judgement is  evidently misstated, or wrongly printed.
1858 [see URINOMETER].
1892 Photogr.  Ann. II. 735
If any houses have  been omitted, or wrongly included under any  heading.

1755 JOHNSON,
Misbeliever,..one who holds a false religion, or  believes wrongly.
1809-14  WORDSW. Excurs. v. 508
What sees he but a  creature..that yearns, Regrets or trembles, wrongly, or
too much; Hopes rashly.
1838  JAMES Robber iv,
You construe what I  have said very wrongly.
1884 tr.  Lotze's Logic 407
To us, rightly or  wrongly, general principles appear rather as [etc.].
1918  Times Lit. Suppl. 28 Mar. 147/1
The methods..have,  rightly or wrongly, largely fallen into  discredit.
1340 Ayenb. 8
And yet And e he more et    er  <NOBR>p ssame  er harm to  ren wrongliche.
1393  LANGL. P. Pl. C.  IV. 92
False puple, That  by-gylen good men and False hem wrongliche.
1400 Cato's  Morals in Cursor M. App. 1672
A-gaine man  A-twise striue ou in na wise, ne wrangeli him greue.
1419 26 Pol.  Poems 69 To wynne wrongly wele, wod ey gan wede.
1450 Myrr.  our Ladye II. 249  Many of them wrongly wandrynge from the
ryghtnes of faythe.
1586  C'TESS  PEMBROKE Ps.  LXIX. ii, Wrongly sett to worke my woe.
1605  SHAKES.Macb.  I. v. 23
Thou..would'st not  play false, And yet would'st wrongly winne.
1609  DANIEL Civ. Wars  V. ci, There he had his rightfull  punishment, Though
wrongly done; and there he lost his head.
1839-40  WORDSW.
â??The Roman Consulâ??  10 When they by wilful act A single human life have
wrongly  taken.
1847  C.  BRONTÃ? J. Eyre viii, I have  been wrongly  accused.

(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/cgi/entry_main/00288055?query_type=word&queryword=wrongly&edition=2e&first=1&max_to_show=10&single=1&sort_
type=alpha&case_id=1cpR-AP9LDk-2950&p=0&sp=0&qt=1&ct=0&ad=0&d=1-D#top)