[lit-ideas] Unexpurgated Geary

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 13:26:13 EDT

In a message dated 6/22/2009 1:43:54 P.M.  Eastern Daylight Time,
pastone@xxxxxxxxx writes:
My son is 25 months old now.  On Father's day, he got me up early
whispering in my ear, in his breezy  morning voice "hi... Daddy". I
quietly shooed him out of the room so his  mother could sleep in and
got him dressed. It was a wonderful, early summer,  sunny morning.
There was a blue sky and a charity triathlon had just begun  with
contributions to "fight prostate cancer". Bikers, swimmers and  runners
were in various stages of the race. We walked hand-in-hand to a  marina
close to our house (about half a mile) to look at the ducks in  the
lake in the early morning. It was the first time I felt like "Dad"  and
it had NOTHING whatsoever to do with the so-called day. To me,  it
really was a father's day. For the first 10 minutes he merely  named
things: tree, bird, cat, doggie, fence, green grass. Then he  became
quiet as he smiled and walked into the wind with his long   hair
blowing away from his eyes. For a moment, contemplative, he looked  up,
pointed at me and said "daddy", then pointed at himself and  said
"matthew", then pointed straight and said "walk"... "nice"  and
giggled. I guess I'm in for the long haul now.

-----

Memoirs of Geary, Sr.

"My son, John Michael, is seventeen today. He got me up
early whispering in my ear, "Hi ... Dad". I quietly shooed
him out of the bathroom so Emilia could sleep, and I got
him dressed. It was snowing, and the sky was black. A protest
had just began in the town green. "Fight Prostate Cancer". Protesters
were in various stages of undress. We walked to a video
store close to our house (about two miles) to look at the
videos. I thought to myself, "So I _am_ his Dad." For the
next two hours he merely named the titles of the videos
in various languages. He became quiet all of a sudden as he
walked into the snow with his curly hair and the snow flakes
falling on his (two) eyes. For a moment, contemplative, he
looked up to the skies abovel and pointed at hisself and said
"Mike", then pointed and said, "Walk". I pointed, 'no, no', and
said "Taxi".

J. L. S.
grill. (http://food.aol.com/grilling?ncid=emlcntusfood00000004)