[lit-ideas] Re: Unconscious Thought and top-5 romantic hotel

  • From: Teemu Pyyluoma <teme17@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 14:39:46 -0800 (PST)

John, sorry for late reply; I'm on a business trip
driving from Tallin, Estonia to Vilnius, Lithuania and
back and haven't checked my mail. Peirce (if you're
the one millionth person to get it wrong, then I
believe Peirce Society has a price for you) uses the
notion of habit troughout his works, including his
cosmology, and Fixation of Belief that Robert
suggested is a good place to start in general. The
topic interests me, it is something that I think we
could've have a nice chat about and I find yours and
others' comments interesting. I'll however refrain
from futher commentary until the wine from the
excellent dinner I just had clears up.

In the meantime, may I suggest the works of one my
Peirce teaches from Helsinki U Metaphysics Club, Erkki
Kilpinen. Like you he makes the connection to
Bourdieau (my turn to misspell?) and as I recall is
generally speaking interested is the concept of habit
as it cuts the dicthotomy between the kind of
determinism that leads to bad jokes and the
unintuative concept of always rational actor. There is
a good discussion on his "The Enormous Flywheel of
Society: Pragmatism's Habitual Conception of Action
and Social Theory" in the pages of ACT Journal,
http://www.siue.edu/MUSIC/ACTPAPERS/v4/ContentsV4_1.html

To the other subject. I needed a place to crash before
going back to Tallin to catch a ferry, so on a whim I
picked what looked like a nice little hotel called
Ammende Villa in a spa town of Pärnu, Estonia. The
web-site said it had been nominated as one of the top
five romantic hotels in the world, but I disgarded
that like any marketing material.

So I arrived in Pärnu around 9 PM and dead tired from
an eight hours drive. To further make matters
annoying, none of the ATMs here take my AMEX and
neither does the hotel, so I have no local currency.
Anyway I went to the hotel, a magnificent early modern
(Jugend as we say in Finland) building in its own
park. Sitting at the lobby that somehow manages to be
three floors high and beautiful at the same time, the
receptionist just told me that they would send me the
bill home. Then I was then given the key to my single
room, that turned out to be a two floor loft suite.

As I still had no local currency, I had no choice but
to dine at the hotel restaurant that turned out to be
one of the best I've ever been to. There are fresh
lillies everywhere in the hotel (in Estonia, in early
March, while it is -10C outside) and I am currently
staring at a champagne bottle at the other sitting
lounge of the suite wondering what I am supposed to do
with it. Let's just say that as a lone business
traveller I am not exactly in their focus group. Why
do I end up in the perfect hotel the one time I'm
travelling solo?

I am beginning to think I may be in some reality TV
show.

Anyway, off to my en-suite sauna...

Cheers,
Teemu