[lit-ideas] Re: US Immigration policies

  • From: "Simon Ward" <sedward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 20:15:46 -0000

Probably depends where you are. In Sussex they seem to work in the fields,
whilst elsewhere I've heard that they create small workgangs concentrating on
labouring jobs like painting and decorating.

I noticed one girl working in a cafe I used to frequent. She was employed as
the 'collector of dirty plates', the most menial job on offer, yet outworked
everybody there whilst still maintaining her dignity. I got the impression her
fellow workers weren't that impressed, whereas as I admired her work ethic.

I was also introduced to a Pole in his early twenties. An extremely talented
artist - I watched him produce a portrait in pastels - who was desperate to
find work having been thrown off the caravan site he was living on. He settled
for gardening work.

Simon