[lit-ideas] Re: US Immigration policies

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 07:22:07 -0800

I don't believe in an open border.  I think we should stop illegal
immigration if we can, but this is a different issue from the one we've been
discussing.  Our policy is superior to the European policy in the sense that
we are much better at integration.  Europeans can't bring themselves to
accept the immigrants as being Europeans.  It doesn't matter how long you've
lived in Europe, you'll still be a European Jew, never a Jewish European.
Consider how strange it would be to say things like that in America:
American Mexican, for example.  We are used to a different approach here,
and it is less alienating.

This is by no means the whole problem, but it is part of it. The Dutch, for
example, could never bring themselves to call their immigrants Dutch, no
matter how long they'd been there.  But now the enclaves Sookhdeo and Bawer
mention are well established and the Muslims are leaning hard against the
Dutch.  After some well-publicized murders, some new laws have been passed
which will restrict future immigration, but they still have the problem of
the immigrants they have previously accepted.  They don't really know what
to do with them.  Something like one/third of the native Dutch now want to
immigrate to Canada or Australia.

Lawrence