[lit-ideas] Re: Twofer Sunday

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 09:09:42 -0800

for the other emily, who wrote the first line

real eyes realize real lies
uncertain tea gots milk
sir prize turned out not to be quite what he seemed
but lost in a yarn with a twist of silk
to the Finnish well or station we jump up start
and ask not what you can do for the oracle of your heart
nothing like coal is ever as it seams
but soft it rests under duress
undress your vest and breeches
run the beaches of your dreams
for what you know is always more or less
advice like eyes bobs cold upon the lake
and uptown girls sing rising for the wake
who will give a dam will ever give anon
sell for cheap along the long horizon
or bang nonsense gongs to ward confusion
five cents and that will dissolve all monetary illusion
for there is a hole in the bucket you realize
and the whole is a hole not ice

i'm watching pbs sell with peter paul and mary and there's an ethical question here which i've never quite resolved which is what do i think of we shall overcome when first i sang it long ago around campfires at atlantic college's orientation exercise in the breacon beacons with vivek haldipur beside me long before he got meningitis and died of a near-drowning accident which may have been suicide the smartest fellow i think i ever knew singing ve shall overcome back then he didn't know he wouldn't overcome he was really into it but even at the time i think i was a wee bit cynical re who was overcoming what exactly in the breacon beacons in leaky tents dedicated to international understanding

i have a different attitude now which is that any group of people which gets together to sing such a song has come from places which need maintenance cost money and took some building up and so these people have left things undone and possibly they have forgone stuff in order to be in that place and to stand up for that cause so no matter how cloudy headed they may be if they're all singing the same song and all facing the same direction and if they're not banging heads and breaking windows then let them be as sappy as they wish because this does not harm humanity

having grown up just down the road from richard gordon who wrote all kinds of books about doctors well one kind really because all doctors in his world were rugby playing white men and the only issue was who had the power and the answer was a toss up between the testosterony or pimply white kids and the bluster of men who patrolled the boundaries of their authority like big dogs so this was the background to last week's hospital dinner where there were still people of that generation but what interested me greatly was the mixing of the gene pool that has happened since richard gordon wrote with white women marrying asian men and asian women marrying white guys and black marrying well i don't need to spell all the variations out the point is that lots of bright people who looked different from one another and who came from all kinds of backgrounds had decided that the mind was the thing and they had done the thing and given birth to kids

which is to mutter a small hooray for human evidence that maybe we shall overcome something some day and at the trumpet's call if i find in that winding line vivek haldipur i'll be right happy to say
you told me so you sung it so

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon