[lit-ideas] Re: Twofer Sunday

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 11:48:47 -0800

how could i have forgotten
the whole poem was clear in my head when i stood beside the buddhist temple bell made out of ex-oxygen tank that hangs at our garden's entrance and watched
the dog doing his wee hour rounds
this is where i often compose
jeeves the cat arrived
instead of jumping over the gate he waited for me to open it and then
instead
that's two insteads now three
of going towards the door
he veered towards
two towards
he aimed at the neverbudge
that garden boat wreck of which you may have heard
for there was yet more half moon exploring to be done
with his tail raised high and his rear white furry culottes puffed
suddenly started by something he shot through the juniper
since he'd be up for a while and there are coyotes out
i came down here to write
what on earth was this poem going to be about
it all seemed as clear as tonight's sky
now there's just this last remaining bit of thisness
before letting him in
and bed

i remember a charged teenage wotsit in battery school
and wondering like everyone who's erratical
rhythm and rime on the job
like bob's your uncle would come
with nature's synchronized heaving and shunting and hum
but then
for me
in a school for boys only
the mysteries were huge