[lit-ideas] Re: Twitter, was Dancing Horse

  • From: "JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx Krueger" <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 22:17:07 -0500

Dammit, Irene, I already had a full blown headache ....

Julie Krueger
wondering what the collective intelligence of internet users actually is.

On 4/29/07, Andy <min.erva@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

There's this new thing called 'twitter' that's all the rage apparently.
It's supposed to be a new way of communicating, if that's what you want to
call it.  I don't completely understand it, but it seems like you can open
an account and 'twitter' with your friends and relatives or you can go into
the general twitter.com page and twitter with everybody in the world.  A
tweet is a few words long along the lines of "I just ate a cheese sandwich"
or "I just washed my dog".  It's supposedly a way to stay connected although
why somebody in Sweden would care that I just washed my dog, with no further
explanation, or why I would care that somebody in Singapore just bought a
pair of socks is beyond me.  Twitter, if it really catches on, seems to be
pushing people into messaging without communicating.   There's still
thoughtful discussion out there, blogs and the like, but generally it seems
to me that the trend isn't toward Harvard.  Maybe things will turn around,
but pessimist that I am, I wouldn't bet on it.

*Mike Geary <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>* wrote:

Isn't it amazing what the Internet has made accessible to us all? What
will
it be like in 10, 20, 50 years? Will we all have Harvard educations just a

click away? It don't seem fair. I coulda been a contender.

Mike Geary
Memphis

Check out new cars at Yahoo!
Autos.<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=48245/*http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html;_ylc=X3oDMTE1YW1jcXJ2BF9TAzk3MTA3MDc2BHNlYwNtYWlsdGFncwRzbGsDbmV3LWNhcnM->