[lit-ideas] Re: Thursday poem

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 20:03:32 -0800

I have long thought it a good idea to pay close attention to studies which reinforce my prejudices. This week Scientific American reported that fish which had consumed reserveratol, a compound found in red wine, were "vivacious swimmers" and could remember in which compartment the light last flashed.

I wonder, though, why the Italians did not feed the fish chocolate, or beer, or gelato. How well a fish must do with a belly full of gelato. When stuffed to the gills with chocolate ice cream, you'll probably find that even your South American bottom feeder becomes suddenly air-born, a god reacting to the sky's itch, a flier. It's counter-intuitive, I know, but that's science for you. Or Brazil.

The Scots, of course, embarked upon these experiments long before the Romans tried their small invasions. Bored on a cold winter's night--and what other kind is there--the Scots rolled out a barrel and threw a few herring in. It is not now known what exactly were the spirits in that barrel, but the conclusion was nearly universally accepted--the herring's taste, unlike that of humans, improves greatly when pickled.

Damn. Now I'm remembering vivacious swimming, but not where the light last flashed.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon