[lit-ideas] Re: How Rumpole Came to Marry She Who Must Be

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 17:49:54 -0800

May I recommend, to those of you in need of distraction, and to those who are fans of the great Rumpole of the Bailey, John Mortimer, "Rumpole and the Penge Bungalow Murders," which was published in 2004 but only came to my attention recently?

Bill Ball might like the fact that the main characters in the murder are a group of officers who flew Bristol bombers. Followers of the series will be pleased to find out how Rumpole came to marry She Who Must Be Obeyed. The chief regret is that we'll never see Leo McKern play the part. It's not a great book by an author at the height of his powers, it's a comfortable book, as satisfying as a good pair of slippers.

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon