[lit-ideas] This explains a lot....

  • From: Julie Krueger <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 12:27:45 -0500

From this weeks World Wide Words:

<<COSTUME NOT REQUIRED  You may remember that back in May I discussed
the craze called PLANKING, in which you lie stiffly horizontal on
top of some object, the odder the better, and get your photograph
taken to prove you've done it. This was followed by OWLING, in which
you had to do nothing more taxing than crouch on your haunches and
stare into the middle distance like the bird. Then there was the
short-lived stunt called HORSEMANNING, in which two people pose so
that it looks as though one person's head has been removed and put
somewhere else. Reports say that this was prompted by the posting
online of an old photo from the 1920s showing such a scene (though
the accompanying suggestion that this was a craze of the time would
seem to be incorrect, as I can find no reference to it anywhere in
the historical record). Its name - from the story of the Headless
Horseman in The Legend of Sleepy Hollow - is new. Part four of this
sequence of activities is BATMANNING, a name and action derived from
the fictional character and from the mammals. To be a BATMANNER, you
suspend yourself upside down with your toes hooked over some object,
such as a street sign, a door or a wall.>>

Julie Krueger