[lit-ideas] "Their form and their infinitie Make a terrestriall Galaxie" (Donne)

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 14:04:30 EDT

In a message dated 9/14/2004 1:52:11 PM Eastern Standard Time,
andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I was  reading Donne's poems last night and he writes about galaxies. Did
people know  what
galaxies were in the 1600s? I thought it was only in the early 1900s  that
astronomers
realized what these were. What did Donne mean by his idea  of galaxy?

It's from the Gr. 'galakt-', from 'gala', milk. The OED defines it  as "a
luminous band or track, encircling the heavens irregularly, and  known to
consist
of innumerable stars, perceptible only by means of the  telescope; the Milky
Way." -- and the cites  are

1398 TREVISA Barth. De  P.R. VIII. viii. (1495) 305
Galaxias is a cercle of heuen more  fayr and bryghte than other cercles.

1569 J. SANDFORD tr. Agrippa's Van. Artes 43b,
The Astrologers be yet ignorant  what Galaxias is, that is to saie, the
Milkie circle.

1583 T. WATSON Centurie of  Loue xxxi. Annot. Poems (Arb.) 67

Galaxia..is a white  way or milky Circle in the heauens.

Under 'b', pre-Donne, the quotes  include:

1384  CHAUCER H. Fame  II. 428
See yonder, lo, the Galaxyë Which  men clepeth the Milky Wey, For hit is
whyt.

Now, the OED  recognises a "transf. and fig.; now chiefly  applied to a
brilliant assemblage or crowd of beautiful women or distinguished  persons,"
and
cites from

1590 GREENE Never too  late Wks. (Rtldg.) 298
The milk~white galaxia of her brow.

It's here that the Donne quotes features -- under  'figurative'.

1631 DONNE Poems (1650) 51
    "Upon this  Primrose hill, Where..Their form and their infinitie Make a
terrestriall  Galaxie."

So I would say a triple metaphor  is at play here -- unless the Ancients did
believe the Milky Way was _made_ of  milk, which was quite possible (that they
believed so, not that it was made of  milk).

    (milk ---->  (fig. 1) Milky Way ----> (fig-2) 'brilliant  assemblage')

It's not clear from the OED quote what the subject of 'their form  and their
infinitie' is, though (women?)

Cheers,

JL