[lit-ideas] Re: Statuesque

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 11:00:30 -0700

on 9/14/04 8:19 AM, Renee Morel at rmorel@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> Why should this be a reference to an actual statue? It probably only
> alludes to the personification of Patience in Cesare Ripa's _Iconologia_,
> the ultimate Renaissance reference book for allegories, used by both
> painters and writers.
>
> Renee

Thanks to JLS for the OED ref.

Let me rephrase the question: if an audience was expected to understand what
"Patience on a monument" looked like, people must have had some image of
Patience in their heads.  It doesn't seem sufficient to me to suggest that
there was a reference book for allegories.  The common herd, the folk who
stood in the pit, had to know.

The reason the question snagged in my mind is that the
subject--Patience--seems so Victorian, or so Italian.  I'm guessing that
Patience meant, for a Shakespearean audience, some kind of Pieta figure, but
I'm now really wondering whether I have understood.  An anti-Catholic,
anti-plaster saint reference perhaps?

A reminder of the context:

Duke: What's her history?
Viola: A blank, my lord.  She never told her love,
But let concealment, like a worm i' the bud,
Feed on her damask cheek: she pined in thought,
And with a green and yellow melancholy
She sat like patience on a monument,
Smiling at grief.

David Ritchie