[lit-ideas] Re: The universal applicability of moral judgments

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 17:11:05 -0330

Completing my replies to Eric D, plse. scroll down to "*" ------------->

Quoting wokshevs@xxxxxx:

*----------------> YOU HAVE ARRIVED. START READING HERE.

> > Walter adds:
> > > --> The CI is not itself a universal law. Maxims are judged, as per the
> > CI,
> > > regarding their possible status as universal laws. (There's no point in
> > asking
> > > whether the CI is itself a universal law.)

Eric D:
> > I'm no Kant scholar, so perhaps I am missing something important, but it
> > seems to me that the categorical imperative is most definitely a universal
> > law.  Kant writes (as translated by Abbot, quoted from Gutenberg.org) "Act
> so
> > that the maxim of thy will can always at the same time hold good as a
> > principle of universal legislation."  That seems to me pretty unequivocally
> > law ("Act..." it says, in the imperative voice, like laws do).  The
> buildup
> > to it has been at pains to distinguish maxims, which are infected by the
> > empirical, from practical laws (that word again), which are the only true
> > laws per se and which, to avoid the contamination of the merely empirical,
> > are forced only to deal with the form rather than the substance, the logic
> of
> > which leads Kant implacably to the CI as *the* one law of pure practical
> > reason.  I don't get why Walter would say it's not a law...?  CI screens
> > maxims so that actions can be permitted insofar as they conform to maxims
> > which can be made universal without contradiction -- but note, it says
> "ACT
> > so that..."

--------> My difficulty is that I don't see how a principle requiring that
maxims of one's will also hold as universal laws can itself be a universal law
in that same sense. A standard of assessment cannot be identical with or
equivalent to that which is judged as meeting that standard. Perhaps what is
relevant here is Kant's claim that there is only one "Categorical Imperative,"
but many "categorical imperatives." That claim, in conjunction with the
non-equivalence of Moral Law and the Categorical Imperative may help. (We must
not assume that all of Kant's remarks on moral theory are consistent. He had a
number of different and probably not complementary intentions when writing the
*Groundwork*. (Much of the 2nd Critique attenpted to make amends. Thus the mess
we have inherited entitled the "Groundwork*. Needless to say, I'm not a Kant
scholar either. And good thing I'm not. As Roger Sullivan once told me, many
Kant scholars end up committing suicide. Go figure. (Last I heard, Roger is
alive and well. :)

Just a brief comment on the strategic and the prudential. Morality, like
education and democracy, are all transcendental categories of human capacities
for rationality. They all, respectively, possess their own intrinsic worth.
Interestingly, they appear to all be holistically integrated. That is to say,
in a society deprived of one of them, you will not find any of the other two.
Example: In a theocratic state, there is no possibility for moral deliberation
and judgement; hence, the society will be devoid of institutions of education
and democracy.

Thanks again to Eric for his astute and probing commentary on my feeble
ramblings on Kant.

Walter O.
MUN