[lit-ideas] Re: The flu

  • From: Teemu Pyyluoma <teme17@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 00:33:28 -0800 (PST)

--- Judy Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> the extra 19  months for us is a con: we all have
> National Insurance cards.

OK. Just teasing you about the ignorance thing, I
didn't know either until I hit the Finnish Insurance
site...

> The wording of the UK document suggests strongly
> that trips to Europe to jump a queue here are not
> what this is about!

That there is a queue for some type of operation is
simply bad management and doesn't even save any costs,
Swedes figured this out and instituted maximum wait
times, other Nordic countries are following. But
anyway, yes, the current EC treaties explicitly deny
treatment in cases where the sole purpose of traveling
is to get the said treatment in another country. I
should've been clearer, the thing about in effect
out-sourced healthcare is my personal speculation,
although I'm pretty sure this will become common in
few years for reasons I stated previously, and I
expect health insurers to be the ones pushing it.

Indians are already promoting Medical Tourism, see
http://www.garamchai.com/MedicalTourism.htm (whose
friend was it that was training to become an x-ray
operator because it can't be outsourced?) Finns having
dental work or cosmetic surgery in Estonia is quite
common, and I guess there is similar movement between
Germany and Poland for example.

Cheers,
Teemu
Helsinki, Finland