[lit-ideas] The World as We May Know It

  • From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 20:25:35 +0900

Coral Bell, a visiting scholar at Australian National Unversity's
Strategic and Defense Studies Center writes in Asia Times,

"Whatever happens there in the short run, the impact of the changes I
have been sketching will in the longer run have a massively important
result: the transformation of the unipolar society of states (which
has been with us since 1992), back into the more historically familiar
shape of a multipolar system.

"And it will be a very complex system, for to my mind there will be
six great powers - the United States, the European Union, China,
India, Russia and Japan, but also probably seven very substantial
powers whose interests, ambitions and military capabilities will have
to be taken into account by the great powers and the rest of the
world: Indonesia, Pakistan, Brazil, Mexico, Nigeria, Iran and Turkey.

"Only two - the United States and the European Union - are
unambiguously Western. Five - Indonesia, Pakistan, Iran, India and
Nigeria - are either Islamic or have very large Muslim minorities.
Though the full development of so complex and potentially turbulent a
world is still probably a decade or two away, it is already casting
its shadows before it. "

What will this mean for our lives and our children's?

--
John McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd.